Mass Media and Communication – The Next Big Market for the Digital World
The world of communication is changing at a rapid rate. With the digital disruption in place, mass mediums are going through a fast makeover.
In the era we are living or going to enter in the future, consumption of any kind of media content is going to be ruled by the digital platform.
This time of convergence has also pave ways of lucrative career opportunities for the youth in the media sector. Mass communication colleges in Kolkata have already understood the needs based on the changes the industry is going through and has designed courses that would provide the industry with skilled professionals henceforth.
Some of the facts that prove the disruption of digital platform are as follows –
- In 2018, a lot of filmmakers chose to release small budget films on the digital platforms like Netflix and Amazon. This step eventually saved a lot of money that were to be spent on distribution and theatrical release. Some of the popular films that took the route of digital release instead of releasing theatrically are Love Per Square Foot, Once Again and Brij Mohan Amar Rahe.
- Movies are released simultaneously on digital platforms along with their theatrical release. This has also reduced the number of multiplex movie goers in 2018.
- Sale of digital rights of films grew to reach 13.5 billion in 2018. Amazon, Netflix, Zee5 have bought digital rights of films that are both critically and commercially successful.
- Thugs of Hindustan was sold to Amazon Prime at INR 700 million and Sanju was sold at INR 200 million.
- Regional content is also not far in the trend. Suriya’s Thaana SerndhaKoottam was reportedly sold to Amazon Prime at INR 62.5 million.
- Karan Johar’s Dharma Productions launched its digital sister concern – Dharmatic.
- Viacom 18 entered into a multi-picture deal with Netflix.
- Eros has set plans to create original content for Eros new and the budget is set at US$ 750 million over the next 3 years.
- Shahrukh Khan’s Red Chillies Entertainment is co-producing ‘Bard of Blood’ for Netflix.
- 245 million people viewed videos online in 2018 whereas 325 million people viewed videos online.
- Large ad platforms claim that there are now over 3, 00,000 digital small and medium enterprise advertisers using digital media. The number can reach 5, 00,000 in the next 5 years.
- Digital subscription grew at the rate of 262% and reached INR 14 billion in 2018.
- As per FICCI, the digital platform will overtake films in 2019 and print by 2021.
Whether it is news or any kind of other content, the digital platform is going to be the provider in the coming times. Cyber journalism is also another buzzing profile in the news world ever since the convergence took place. Journalism courses have also been adapted in the same way. Apart from traditional journalistic ways, add up the cyber journalism, blogging and other forms of keyword oriented content creation in the digital platform.
If you are one of those, who aspire to become a part of the media sector and have goals to set your future career in the field, you cannot avoid the emergence and growing importance of the digital platform in the mass communication sector.
iLEAD’s undergraduate and post-graduation courses of Media Science and Film and TV Production are in sync with the ongoing changes in the industry. Students enrolling in the degree courses will be able to cope with the emerging disruptions easily and also will be industry ready by the time they are ready to join as professionals.
Author: Saheli Goswami
Saheli, when she is not writing, you will find her curled in a comfortable chair with a book in her hands. An avid reader, she has a natural flair of writing. She has been living on the routine of eat, sleep, repeat writing since 2013. A total foodie, if you want to be in her good books talk enthusiastically about food. Writing and editing on television content has been her forte. Currently she is a Content Writer at iLEAD.
Leave a Reply