“Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo Da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.”– H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
There’s a saying – ‘Work smarter, not harder’. And for doing that you need to plan your routine and manage time effectively. Time management is a necessity to stay fit, productive and avoid delays and exhaustion.
Here are 7 tips to manage time wisely –
1. Set Your Goals and Prioritize Them – You might be having a lot of tasks on the table. Instead of trying your hands on everything and create a haphazard situation, it’s better to prioritize your work as ‘important’, ‘urgent’ or ‘can be delayed’. Finish each task one by one as per priority. Don’t try to work on everything at hand in one go.
2. Start Your Day Early – It’ always better to start your day early or on time. By doing so, you can avoid any rush and drop the fear of missing the deadline.
3. Delegate Work – Don’t try to do everything alone. The addiction towards perfection can result into more imperfections. Delegate some work if possible. You can always recheck before submitting the final draft.
4. Avoid Distractions – Turn off the notifications in your phone while doing an important work. Social media notifications and alerts can unnecessarily distract and delay you. If there’s an important incoming call, pick it up and excuse yourself for a few hours until you finish the job at hand. You can always get back to the person once you are done with the work.
5. Take Breaks – While shifting from one task to another, make sure you are taking short breaks to avoid getting exhausted. Don’t think breaks are waste of time. They rejuvenate our brains and enable us to stay productive during a hard day at work. A 10 to 15 minutes break in between various tasks should be enough to charge you up.
6. Say ‘No’ If Necessary – Being a ‘yes boss’ kind of person is good. But saying ‘yes’ even when it’s beyond your potential can be damaging. If you already have a lot of things in hand, say ‘no’ or ask for a delay instead of adding more stress to your mind and piling up more work on your desk.
7. Lead A Healthy Life – Eating healthy, exercising and sleeping adequately help us to lead a healthy life. A human body needs to rest as much as it works. So eat healthy food, sleep at least for 7 to 8 hours a day and wake up early in the morning. If you are drowsy or tired, you will always be a late arriver.
**Additional Tips –
- • Always plan ahead of your schedule. Make a mental note at night of what work is to be started off with in the morning.
- • Do things that are really important. Sometimes doing less unimportant things make you do more important things.
- • Lastly, always commit yourself to the kind of work that you enjoy. For students, study the subjects that you like the most. ‘When work is play’, you work better and smarter. But when work is just a job, the monotony makes you lose the track of time.